Thursday, September 20, 2007

More pictures of Grandpa and Grandma









I love my Grandma and Grandpa Lee. It's hard to know how special they were unless you knew them. I know, I know, everyone's grandparents are special, but mine are really special.
I found a tape at their house called "grandma and grandpa's memories". I made a copy of it and I've been listening to it in my car this week, because that is the only place I have a tape player. I feel so at peace listening to their voices, especially grandma's. I may be rushing to work in traffic, but when I hear their stories, I can picture so vividly them sitting at their kitchen table, talking to me, and the scene is so peaceful.
On the tape Grandma tells stories of riding in the horse drawn sleigh to school on cold days. She tells of when she had to "batch" to go to highschool in another time. Could you imagine leaving home at age 13 or 14? As she put it, she had to "grow up fast". Her mother had passed away when she was twelve, and a year or two later she left for high school. Going back further, she remembers when she lived in a two bedroom home. She slept with two sisters in a bed in the kitchen. She remembers the depression. She said they were poor, but they didn't know it, because they had food to eat. I might describe myself as "poor" now, but I don't really know the definiton. Grandma and Granpda lived in such different times! I love hearing her stories. I love her voice. I love her.
Grandpa tells stories of playing in the orchard, thinning beets at a young age, hunting rabbits, and also having to grow up fast. His mother died in childbirth when he was age four. How heartbreaking for the family. The baby died too, so "I didn't have a baby brother either" he said. He was sent to live with his Uncle for a time after that. He also talked about "batching" in college. He left for college when he was barely seventeen, since he was a grade or two ahead. He had a $100 scholarship from the Union Pacific Railroad, allowing him to be the first from his community to graduate from college. He said he spent $53 on food that year, for a total of $250 dollars for the school year. The memories they tell on the tape are just so precious. I miss them, but I know that we were all lucky to have them as long as we did. They were married 66 years. I will be so happy if I get to be married to Jason that long.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

Funny how you can tell something about a person by looking at their faces after 80+ years on this earth. Seeing pictures of your grandparents (especially the one of your grandpa planting a kiss on your grandma's cheeck) made me a little teary-eyed even though they are strangers to me. You come from a great heritage. Thanks for sharing those stories and the sweet pictures.

Liz said...

Sarah, this is a great post about Grandma and Grandpa Lee. Even though they weren't my real grandparents, after meeting them and knowing and loving them, it made me sad that my grandparents aren't more like them. Having a testimony of Christ and in our church truly does make a difference in a person's life. I only hope I can be that kind of Grandparent. I love the pictures and the stories from the tape. I wonder if there is a way to get that converted to a cd? Maybe Uncle Michael could do that?

Sarah H said...

Liz,
Yeah, everybody needs a copy of these tapes. I haven't gotten to see the DVDs yet but I'm very excited too. I just made a quick copy while I was there, but I'm hoping that we'll get it made to cd somehow (i don't know how).

Sabrina said...

Your grandparents were amazing people. I didn't know them for very long, but I was impressed from the first time I met them. They were so kind and intelligent, very good people.