Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Grandpa

Now that I'm a blogger I always think of little things during my day that I could put on my blog, but when I don't blog for a week, they get lost in my memory. So this could just be a jumbled post.
The big event of this week is the passing of my Grandpa Lee, of Idaho. My Grandma Lee passed away less than 6 months ago, so it's not too surprising that Grandpa followed shortly after. He was 93 1/2. I have so many fond memories of Grandpa and Grandma, and I will more to write about his life after the funeral, which will be more of a celebration of a good life lived. The whole family should be there, and Jason is coming with me to the funeral. His sweet family will be watching the boys.
I thought I'd post a few pictures in memory of Grandpa Lee.

Here's the last time we saw him, this summer. He was in good spirits.


My aunt Phyllis said this was taken in 1936, just before his mission to Denmark.



This was taken about 10 or 15 years ago. I think he is handsome as a young man and an old man.

One thing that has been a pain is getting off work. We have basically four nurses, myself included, who work the two offices. Unfortunately, one of the nurses is what I would call an "evil coworker" and we're not on speaking terms anymore. Basically, she yelled at me on Friday, which upset me to the point of uncontrollable tears (It's so embarrassing being in the bathroom for 10 minutes, only to return after the sweet receptions gives me a hug), so I left her a note politely but firmly saying that she's not my superior so she is not to yell at me again. I felt very satisfied leaving the note, but it makes it a bit awkward today for me to call her and ask her to cover my shift. So I didn't.

Let's see, what other little things have I been thinking about? We've been going through our fruit from Michigan at a pretty fast rate. I made apple butter and actually canned it one day. I also made a huge peach pie in my deep pie pan, and an apple pie in my other pie pan, which we enjoyed with friends and a generous dollop of whipped cream. Things like that always make me happy.

Another thing that makes me happy is that the boys will be starting preschool in a few weeks. They got their list of supplies, and it includes such fun things as: 2 lbs of dried beans, a bag of rice, and a can of shaving cream. Should be a fun year!

Another thing that makes me happy is the beautiful day we had today. It was the first crisp day this season, and it did make me excited for fall. I'm okay with letting summer go. I took the boys for a bike ride through the prairie preserve, and it was painted yellow by some blooming grass that covers the entire expanse. It was beautiful.

Speaking of beautiful, I've been wanting to post this picture for a while. My brother Leo took it while vacationing in the french alps this summer:

Here's something that's beautiful too, but in a creepy, crawly way. We had one of these in our front bushes today. We had fun showing all our boys neighbors that were out playing. We also saw one at the arboretum today and we found out they are not poisonous.


4 comments:

Liz said...

Sarah, I'm glad you and Jason are going to be able to attend Grandpa Lee's funeral. I wish I could go too.

Sorry to hear you have an evil coworker! Hopefully when you get back to work things will be better!

Those pies sound yummy! Just the thought of them is expanding my waistline though. :)

Anonymous said...

cute pictures, sar. the one your brother took is breathtaking! I double love Alison Krauss...I love coming to your blog to listen to her.

Karen said...

Ahhh Sorry about your cute Grandpa. Oh wow, we saw those kind of spiders on a walk we took in Kaui, they are awesome, but good to know they aren't poisonous. Yeah and you need to teach me how to make pies, Brian would be in heaven.

Debbie said...

Wow, this is the first time for me on your blog and your boys are so big and cute!