Saturday, May 09, 2009

Just another day of being a mom

Poor Nathan threw up in the pool yesterday during his swim class. Everyone had to evacuate. The teachers reassured me that it happens at least monthly. But still, I wrapped my arms around him for a long time after that, as he was sad and embarrassed. Other than that, both boys are doing great in swim class!

James inhaled a water balloon yesterday, you know the kind that have warnings all over the package about choking. He ran out of the room, coughed some, and reached back into his throat and got it out. Phew! Not before my adrenaline was released and my heart started pounding. I have paranoia issues about choking.

And here's a cute story to balance some of the unpleasantries of mothering. The other day James asked, "Mom, can vegetarians eat artichokes?"
"Yes, artichokes are great for vegetarians".
"But you said to scrape the meat off with your teeth."

I had to laugh at that one. We do have artichokes a lot, and I don't know what else to call the part of the artichoke that you actually eat. And we do eat meat occasionally too, so I didn't know James had really even picked up on our semi-vegetarian lifestyle. Speaking of vegetarianism, we had the most delicious cook out food last night. We grilled portabello mushrooms, eggplant, and zucchini that had been marinated in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and crushed garlic. We stacked the grilled veggies on a ciabatta roll, added some fresh basil, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and sliced fresh mozzarella. Delicious! Even Jason admitted he didn't miss the meat. But he is making burgers tonight on the grill...so i guess he did miss it some.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Mmmmmmm that sounds way yummy. I'll come to your veggie-grill any time :)

Susie O'Rourke said...

Happy Mother's Day Sarah!!!

Liz said...

oh my you really scared me with the balloon story. I have heard about kids dying from sucking in a balloon. I am glad James was ok.

Your grilled veggies sounded delicious. Are you going to post your recipes?

NorwayBrowns said...

Sarah, I read your post to Leo over the phone and we rode the emotional roller coaster with you--grimaced at the pool incident, got scared by the balloon inhalation, and laughed out loud over James' discovery of your vegan hypocrisy when you ADMITTED to eating artichoke meat (and Jason's burger grilling the day after the veggie grilling)! I'm so glad you blog!

Abbie said...

That sounds sooooo good. Yum.

All I can say about the choking - good thing you're a nurse.