Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bad Ad

I am proud to say that I have been carrying Audrey around for the past 5 months. She has been in the stroller once, when I got in a sudden mood to jog.


8 days old and out and about





Hiking with mama



Even dad looks great carrying a baby around in the big city (with children running around him no less)




Yes, it is a stylish carrier, and she is my best accessory, but that's not why I do it.


I like her close to me.
I do.
And she likes it too.




So I found out about this ad and felt a little annoyed:




To quote the Chicago Tribune: "Offend mommy bloggers at your own peril. They can chew you up and spit you out in a day."

Lots of mommy bloggers got mad and the ad was yanked.


But not before a good mock ad response was made:



8 comments:

Lesley said...

So the original commercial was for Motrin too? How did they NOT see how that was offensive? I bet somebody got fired.

My friend appreciated the info on your diapers, by the way!

Liz Johnson said...

Hahahahaha that second ad is hilarious. I saw that first ad and thought "ohhhhhh they have no idea what kind of bear they just poked!" I'm glad to hear it was yanked!

Alicia said...

Love it! I am a firm believer in the sling. Next baby I will be on board. When Sage was about a year I had an "ah-ha" moment...I realized that my kid had spent much of her life in a carseat and bouncy chair. All that time she could have been close to me...the wasted months. Like I said next time.

Lisa said...

Wow, I see why it was yanked :) Thanks for sharing it--I'd never seen it.

Abbie said...

I love the second ad. That is awesome. Good for them.

P.S. You planted a seed on the cloth diaper thing. I told Forrest and he was so not down with the idea, but that's how the natural birth stuff started... Maybe I'll do cloth with our last baby.

Michelle said...

Classic. I love people who are clever enough to respond with a new ad. I would have just been angry and fumed.

PS. The word verification I have to type below is "pieness." I thought that was funny. If I was a pie maker, I'd want people to call my "Your Pieness." Just a thought.

Nursemom said...

I totally agree. What a horrible ad. I love carrying around Gavin. The only problem is that he's now really active and wants to grab everything so it's hard to keep him in my arms. But I still love it.

NorwayBrowns said...

Sarah, Leo and I had a good laugh over the second ad too. I can see why the first one was poking a bear, although I have to honestly admit that I overdosed on the babywearing. Hiking 13 miles up and down a 10,000ft peak with a 3 month old (remember the photo of Hannah at the top of Mt. Baldy?) made me want some Motrin. That and our bright idea of hooking the front carrier to the shoulder straps of the backpack when we took her to the Sierras. I cooked! But you're right--there's nothing that soothes a fussy baby who just wants to be held like slinging her next to you.