Sunday, August 03, 2008

Some Thoughts and inspiration

I have so much I could write about what I've been learning and thinking about, but I will make this short.
The C-section rate in the US is now 31%.
Do you really think nearly one out of three women can't birth their babies?
I contribute to that rate, and it still breaks my heart and makes me cry when I think about it (which is often).
I don't want to contribute to that rate next time.
I learned a beautiful new acronym. VBA2C.
I am joining an ICAN support group. (see link on left--International Cesarean Awareness Network).
This is some inspiration from them:

(FYI CPD=Cephalopelvic disproportion (head doesn't fit), VBAC=vaginal birth after cesarean, HBAC=home birth after cesarean, UBAC=Unassited birth after cesarean)



10 comments:

Lesley said...

Go girl! I think it is great that you approach birth in such an educated, proactive way.

Liz Johnson said...

I completely agree - 1 out of 3 is astronomical and ridiculous. Women need to be given back their bodies.

GO SARAH! I fully support you! I'm so sorry that you've had less-than-stellar experiences with your first births, and you have a right to mourn that. Don't let anybody tell you that just because you have a "healthy baby, healthy mommy," that you shouldn't feel sadness. I look forward to hearing more! I hope this helps!

Wendi said...

I was reading some articles about how more women are now having elective C-sections. I don't really know why someone would WANT to do that, but whatever the reason, some do.

My little sister just had an emergency C-section after 24+ hours of labor and hopes to have a VBAC next time.

I hope that you can have the birth that you plan and hope for the next time around!

Sarah H said...

I shouldn't say that nearly one out of three women "can't" give birth, it's one out of three pregnancies don't end in birth, in part because of the major decline in VBACs. VBAC success rate is around 10%.
Thanks liz for your comments. It is true that a lot of people say if the baby is healthy (which my baby was NOT the first day of her life because of the c-section) everything is fine, but I've definitely had to mourn my foiled VBAC.
Wendi, have your sister read a lot about VBACs and join and ICAN group! I wish I would have earlier!

Alicia said...

Woohoo! It's so funny that you wrote this post b/c yesterday I was just thinking about telling you that twice a C-section does not a third c-section make. I watched a video my sister sent recently...after 3 c-sections this woman had her 4th naturally. I think that it is the most soul satisfying, empowering experience to give birth naturally...it is really a hallmark of my life.

I know you can do it and I'm so impressed with your desire! Desire is the key!

Sabrina said...

Way to go, Sarah. I think the whole concept of birthing and convenience has gotten very confused. I haven't ever had a c-section, but I am actually even against being induced should I go long. I don't have any fear having a large baby. I think many doctors today are too afraid of liability and want to plan births for their convenience instead of waiting for the natural process to occur. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate modern medicine for the miracles it can help perform, but I think some of those processes are exploited. That's so great you have found this organization to help support you.

chicagosapps said...

I am so glad you have found a positive way to move forward with your grief. Becoming more educated, and helping to educate others are good ways to move on. Doesn't learning more make you want to have another baby right away, just to prove you can do it? That's how I've felt for the last almost 3 years--since Kevin's birth wasn't totally perfect (though a vast improvement over the other two).

Thanks for your comments on my blog. It's been a little crazy the last few weeks, and I appreciate your friendship. You are amazing!

The Horton Family said...

Sarah and Jason - Congratulations on the new arrival - She is absolutely adorable!! What a happy baby. Chris is a little jealouse because he has always wanted to use the name Audrey. I agree with you on the VBAC situation. All of ours were born c-section (Scheduled), and it does feel a little odd that I have 5 children, and have never really felt a real contraction. I won't be of much help when my girls come to me with questions about whether or not they are actually in labor... But at least they all got here safe, and all is well. We are glad everything finally worked out for your sweet little girl.
Chris and Rachel Horton

Liz said...

Sarah, so glad that you have found a support group! I am sure that you will be able to do this the next time! :)

Abbie said...

That is so awesome. This might sound crazy, but I excited for you to get pregnant again so you can have an amazing VBA2C!!! Go Sarah!!