Monday, July 14, 2008

Big day in the city

Audrey has been a very busy girl in her young 3 weeks of life. She's already been to two movies in the theater, the arboretum twice, Cantigny gardens, fourth of July fireworks, several picnics, church, downtown Naperville, several out-to-eat lunches or dinners, and, the city of Chicago!

Saturday Jason roused me from sleep at 8:40 saying we should catch the 9:20 express train for our trip to the city. We somehow made it to the train on time and Audrey nursed contendly for half the ride. We then took a trolley to Navy Pier where we dropped a lot of money on a bad lunch and some fun rides, including the ferris wheel:

The main event for going downtown was to see the opening performance of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. My friend Erica got us tickets because she works at the theater. The performance was spectacular and so fun! I was totally wanting some chocolate and candy afterwords. Audrey slept right through the performance.


We got to meet the cast afterwords.


Nathan, dazed out on a wonka bar.
Here we are (minus James, who always runs away for pictures) at the Chicago Shakespeare theater, where we saw Willy Wonka.

By the time we finished meeting with the cast and having refreshments in the theater, we realized we didn't have a whole lot of time until our 5:25 express train back. We decided to walk instead of waiting in line for the trolley. Jason had done it before, and we figured we could make it faster than the trolley. After a few blocks the boys started saying their legs were tired. Frankly I was tired too! Jason urged us on at a clipped pace and took turns carrying the boys. I was walking as fast as I could, and I could feel my incision stinging a bit as I tried to walk even faster. The final few blocks Jason carried BOTH boys and we made it to our train about a minute before it left. We got home and clocked our walk at two and a half miles! No wonder the boys (and me) were tired.

We had such a fun day though and I was so happy to be with Jason. He was out of town last week, and today, on his birthday, he got up at 4:30 to leave for the week again. So sad! My mom is here this week to help me out, thank goodness.

Happy birthday Jason! I wish we could be together but we've sure had a wonderful few weeks while you were on "Paternity leave" (otherwise known as vacation once I started feeling better).

Jas you're the best!! Happy 28th b-day!


10 comments:

Susie O'Rourke said...

Happy birthday, Jason!

What a fun day downtown! I love the picture of Nathan wearing the glasses with some chocolate around his lips. :) You guys are such a fun family.
Let me know if you need anything!

Lesley said...

What a fun day!

I am SO impressed by all your excursions, Sarah! What a recovery!

The Kelly Family said...

Wow! Sounds like lots of fun! I'm impressed the boys walked as much as they did. Too bad Jason couldn't carry you back, too :) You're awesome for getting out with the fam right after having a baby. Ryan gets 3 weeks of paid paternity leave, but we'll see if I have the energy and motivation to actually go anywhere.

ashley marie said...

man I can't believe you guys made the train! I would have loved seeing both of you carrying 3 kids!! Funny, but obviously not too fun when you were in the moment. Hey, how long did Jason get off for paternity? Did he take all of the weeks he was offered? Joe was telling me that in Canada they get a year of paternity leave. Can you imagine that?? I would worry my job would be totally different or worse, not there, when I finally went back to work!

Liz said...

Fun times! Love the pics of the boys! I hope you are recovering from that fast walk to the train!

So glad M could be there to help you out while Jas is gone. So sad he had to leave so early on his birthday! Happy Birthday Jason!

hilary w said...

Wow...you guys are adventurous with a new baby! I admire that.

It sounds like you had such a fun time in Chicago! You are so lucky to live close to a big city!

Nursemom said...

You are so brave to be out and about right after a c-section. You look so great though. No wonder you get so skinny after you have babies. Sounds like so much fun. I love adventures like that.

KT said...

What a fun day in the city. We went downtown while we were visiting. We walked from the train station to Water Tower Place for lunch and then to Navy Pier. It was a lot of walking, but we didn't have any little kids and I didn't just have a baby. We took a water taxi from Navy Pier to the train station at the end of the day. I just love Chicago!

marie said...

dang you get lots of comments now! i'll be number nine by saying that i must visit in september and go to navy pier with you guys. we can skip the bad lunch and dash to the train, but can keep the chocolate and children :)

Anonymous said...

sar, you look incredible! and i can't believe how up and around you are so soon after your c-section...you give me great hope, girl! Audrey is precious -- I'm so glad you're enjoying her.

Happy Birthday, Jason!
Love you guys!