Thanks everyone for your comments and congrats! I was so excited to see all your comments. And thanks for saying I'm not fat. I wasn't saying that to have it refuted, but since you all did it made me feel good. I just didn't post the few really bad pictures of me I had :)
Well, we got our Christmas tree yesterday. We probably couldn't have picked a worse day or time to get it. It began snowing around noon, then turned to sleet, then rain that froze on the ground and made all the roads, parking lots, and driveways ice skating rinks. I was determined to get our tree that day though. It's only the beginning of December but Christmas seems to come earlier and earlier every year so I feel like I'm already behind. So I really wanted the tree that day. We found one at Lowes for $11.99. I don't know how that even covers the cost of transporting the tree from wherever it was grown, let alone growing it for however many years it did, but for us tightwads we were very happy to get it. Someday I'll buy the really nice kinds that are 70 or 80 dollars.
James was so excited to decorate it. He was a little sad that we didn't have colored lights. This year I've really been liking colored lights. I probably would have preferred them too, but I didn't want to spend the money, so we stuck with white.
I do love having a real Christmas tree. We always had one growing up. We'd go pick it out at Cosley Zoo, Dad would work on getting it up, and mom and I would put the lights on and decorate it. There would usually be the smell of Wassail from the kitchen and beautiful Christmas music playing on the stereo. Okay, probably every year wasn't this picturesque, (more like my parents barking at each other that the tree is about to tip over (Hmmm, just like Jason and I did last night)) but that's what I like to imagine when I'm missing my family and wondering why everyone lives so far away.
So what about you? Do you think the troubles of a real tree are worth it? What did you have growing up? Do you like white or colored lights?

10 comments:
Kevin and I always had a fake tree growing up. I had white lights and he had colored. He likes colored lights and I like white although unless you have a big house, I like colored on the outside. Check out our blog to see our colored lights on our house! Nice tree by the way.
The smell of Murphy's Oil Soap will forever be associated with Decking the Wombold Halls to me. The day before we would decorate, it was time to clean! Iknow you're surprised, Sarah. Growing up, we had wood paneling in our downstairs, so mom got out the soap and all three of us girls were put to work like Cinderella. I didn't mind, though, because we always had either Bing Crosby or Johnny Mathis playing on the record player - I loved it! We also always had a real tree downstairs (with colored lights) for the family ornaments and a fake tree in the living room with fancy, meaningless ornaments and white lights. These days, my parents opt for a fake tree. We also have a fake tree at my house, which I don't like, but my husband and I compromised. I REFUSE to put it together every year, so we keep it up in the basement with a sheet over it. It is prelit, though, which I admit is very convenient.
We always had colored lights growing up, so now I tried white lights....but they look more yellow to me, so next year, back to colored! Thanks so much for the baby gift and coming on Friday...that was a blast and I was super surprised! Can't wait to find out what you are having!
We always had white lights outside, much to my dismay. But now that I am all grown up, I prefer white as well.
Growing up we always did the fake tree thing, and Scott and I just purchased our own fakey.
I am SO jealous that you had sleet and snow. Crazy, huh?
Love the tree!! It was nice to chat with you this morning!
I think we always had a fake tree growing up. I do remember a few years when we moved to Florida when we had a real tree. But that didn't work out so well, because the trees were so dry there that the needles fell off when we tried to hang ornaments, and by the time Christmas was over there weren't too many needles left. :(
Since Ben and I have been married we've had mostly real trees until last year when we bought a fake one. I like white lights the best.
My family had a fake tree most of the time while I was growing up. There were a few random years when we'd get a real tree, and I remember thinking it was so special. Those were also the years our parents would let us use tinsel instead of garland. We had colored lights until we made the switch to white when I was in high school. Kevin and I have a fake tree with white lights. We bought the tree for our first married Christmas, and said we'll get a real tree once we have children. I prefer white lights, but really think everything is pretty as long as there are a LOT of lights.
I'm into the fake tree thing--much easier and you buy it once. But I suppose I've never had a real tree so I don't know the benefits.
And I definitely prefer white lights--we have blue ones right now (because we got them for free), and I can't wait until we have white ones :)
We always had real trees growing up. The best was going up into the mountains and picking our own. Actually, playing in the snow while my mom picked the tree. I love the smell of real Christmas trees. They really smell just awesome. We always had colored lights, so I reckon thats why I like them the best. Then we always had that mixture of homemade ornaments and nice looking ones. My mom hated it, but all of us kids loved it. And then there was always the contest to see who could get their elf the highest on the tree (my grandmother made little elves for each member of the family). Its been interesting for me to see how people here in CT put candles in each window each night. It looks really cool... except when they use the red candles... that kinda creeps me out.
Congratulations on the news! I love your tree. It's so big! And for such a great price! Very nice.
We always had a fake tree growing up that was gorgeous (and pre-lit!). I think a fake tree is great if you take the time to pick out a nice one. I have such nice memories of putting up our tree while my mom put on vintage Christmas records of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. It's funny how decorating for Christmas never seems like a chore!
Post a Comment