Tuesday, December 11, 2007

gotta post something

Apologies again for being a lame blogger. I don't even get to read my friends blogs very often anymore. I just am so tired and the boys are so busy, I don't make much time to be on the computer.

I thought I could at least post something quickly though.

We're well into the swing of things with the Christmas season. It is a wonderful time of year. It's not all magic and sleigh bells all the time. It's way too gray outside for that. But we have had some great moments. Here's a few.

We went to Jason's Christmas party last weekend. It was actually really fun! They do put on a good party. It was in the Navy Pier Grand ballroom, there was a live band, the food was delicious, I loved my dress (but I forgot to take a single picture!), and we actually saw people we knew. That was the best part.

Another thing we did last weekend was go to the Wheaton College Christmas concert, which was a tradition for my family while they were living here. Lately I've been thinking about how my mom did so much to enrich our lives culturally. She knows a lot about the arts and music and is a very fun lady. I remember several special concerts that she took me too growing up: the Nutcracker, Chicago symphony orchestra, front row Yo-Yo Ma concert of the Bach unaccompanied cello concertos, Renee Fleming in her earlier days, Ravinia, Hansel and Gretel Opera, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor dreamcoat, and many more. That's one reason I love living in the Chicago area. There's always something to do. Now if only we had the money for the tickets! I'm really glad my mom made it a priority to expose us to music and art. Oh, and art! I remember going to the Art museum occasionally. My legs always seemed to turn to lead as soon as we got there. But as I got older, I started to enjoy it more. One time we went for a Degas exhibit and I was so enthralled and took so long I got separated from my family. Even though I was a teenager, I still cried when I finally found them. That was a turning point for me though. I wish I knew as much about the arts as my mom. She's had a lot more time though. Just recently she took a trip around Europe, the focal point being a visit to Malta to a Caravaggio exhibit. Maybe someday I'll be like that. In the meantime, I get in what I can, like a local College concert.

Here's the lyrics to my favorite song they performed:
What Sweeter Music by John Rutter

What sweeter music can we bring
Then a carol, for to sing
The birth of this our Heavenly King?
Awake the voice! Awake the string!

Dark and dull night, fly hence away,
And give the honour to this day
That sees December turned to May.

Why does the chilling winter's morn
Smile, like a field beset with corn?
Or smell like a meadow newly shorn
Thus on the sudden? Come and see
The cause, why things thus fragrant be:

'Tis he is born, whose quickening birth
Gives life and lustre, public mirth,
To heaven and the under-earth.

We see him come, and know him ours,
Who, with his sunshine and his showers,
Turns all the patient ground to flowers.

The darling of the world is come,
And fit it is, we find a room
To welcome him, to welcome him.

The nobler part of all the house here, is the heart.
Which we will give him: and bequeath
This holly, and this ivy wreath.
To do him honour who's our King
And Lord of all this revelling.

(It's even more beautiful to music)

Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Merry Christmas Sarah!

I think I was with you at the Degas Exhibit. I sort of remember going to the Art museum and seeing some famous exhibit. Anyway, you did do a lot of really neat things as a child. It must have been a sacrifice to do it, but definitely worth the benefit.

I've been too busy to post much as well. Maybe when the holidays are over and we are less busy? I hope you are feeling well. :)

Nursemom said...

I know exactly how you feel. I had no time for anything for months. I'm 17 weeks now and I'm just now finding energy to get stuff done. The first trimester is hard, but you'll get through it. Merry Christmas to your family. Here's my e-mail address. Send me your home address so we can send you a Christmas card. mmht88@yahoo.com

Sabrina said...

Your mom is amazingly cultured. It's so fascinating to talk to her. She knows so much! I hope you get through the gray days and have a lot more wonderful Christmas moments! I loved the lyrics you posted. I don't believe I've ever heard that Rutter song. I'll have to go find it. He composes such beautiful music. Thanks for sharing!

hilary w said...

I was lucky enough to have a cultural childhood, as well. My mom loves art history and so our entire living room was filled with "coffee table books" of famous artwork. We made many trips to art museums, too! I'm sad I didn't appreciate it when I was younger. I am definitely getting more into it as an adult, all thanks to Mom!