Monday, December 17, 2007

I'm a good mom!



I write that title not to be conceited or brag, but because more often than not I don't feel like a good mom. I don't really get down and play with my kids too often. I figure they have each other and their toys. I don't do crafts with them, although I do sometimes bake with them. I lose my temper and occasionally yell at them. I do like to read to them a lot, but I don't feel like I'm going out of my way to make sure they are little academics. My house is disorganized more often than not. So a lot of times, especially if I compare myself to someone I consider a "perfect mom", I don't feel like I'm that great of a mom.

But this weekend, I made them a special cake for their fourth birthday! I decorated it all cute and used a lot of food coloring and even used cake mix, which I hate to use, but I was thinking about what the kids want, not me. And they loved it! Yeay! I felt like a good mom!!

And today, I've even played Hungry Hungry Hippo with them, set up the finger paint, and I'm working on organizing our house (ie getting rid of a lot of their toys so this new bounty will have somewhere to go). Yeay! I'm a good mom!


What makes you a good mom? I know you are!


I love Nathan's puffed up cheeks in this picture!


Happy James after blowing out his candles.

12 comments:

Liz said...

Happy Birthday James and Nathan!!

Sarah, you know every mom is different. We each have skills that we are better at than others. So don't feel like you are a bad mom! I feel that way alot, but yet I have people telling me all the time what a great mom I am, and I wonder why they think that. I mean, if they saw me just a few minutes ago yelling at the kids for some crazy infraction they might think otherwise. But good for you for making the boys a fantastic looking cake for their birthday! I can't believe they are 4!

Ashli Miller said...

The cake is awesome! We all feel that way. I'm sure you are a great mom!

Karen said...

Sarah that is the cutest cake ever! I bet the boys were so excited and happy...you might think you are not the best mom, but THEY think you are and thats all that matters! Plus I'm sure every mom feels that way at different stages...Im not even one yet and I already feel completely inadequate. Have a great pary tomorrow!

Karen said...

I meant PARTY :)

Abbie said...

I always looked at you as one of the "perfect" moms when we lived in Wymount. You were such a good example to me.

That cake is beautiful! Well done.

And, CONGRATULATIONS on the bun coming in June! That is very exciting! You don't look fat in your Hawaii pictures, but I know how you feel. It's a tricky time when you feel bloated, sick, and you can't tell anyone. Hooray for tiny babies!

Michelle said...

Bud, you are a great mom. This morning, before Ethan took his morning nap, I was either on the phone (with Best Buy) or in the shower while he played in his exersaucer, aka Circle of Neglect. I think all moms feel like they could always do more. From the view as a teacher of low level kids, trust me, we're good parents.

And that is one fantastic looking cake. Holy cow!

Susie O'Rourke said...

The cake looks amazing. And, if I can be half the mom you are when I have children, I'll be happy. You are terrific! James and Nathan adore you.
Happy 4th Birthday James and Nathan!

Susie O'Rourke said...

PS. My favorite part of the cake is that Nathan's eyes are blue. Such detail! :)

Lisa said...

Good for you. I think that all moms need to say to themselves over and over that they are a good mom. Because, in all reality, you really are! You never said you were a perfect mom. But you are a good mom. End of story.

Headle said...

Sarah--
I just found your blog off of Lisa's. What a wonderful surprise to hear from you again!! You look beautiful and I agree, you are an amazing Mom!

Your twins are so lucky to have you!! You are a doll. And congratulations on the new one coming! That's exciting!

And the cake you made is adorable! I love it! How creative and how cute!! I am so grateful for your cooking skills and how you share them with others. I know how to make roast chicken thanks to you :)

Have a wonderful holiday season!

hilary w said...

That is quite the cake! You are an awesome mom! I totally know how you feel. After a whole day of having my hand tugged for attention and not playing with Jack once, I feel like such a bad mom! Luckily though, kids are so forgiving and we can always try again the next day!

Lesley said...

Isn't it weird that we all feel that way? I think the fact that we worry about being a good mom shows that we are on the right path. Moms who are content and think they are doing a perfect job -- now those are the ones I worry about. Keep up the great work. Your kids are happy and safe, and had the best birthday cake ever. Way to go!