These are a few pictures from my day, which was going to be a regular Tuesday, but we scratched all to do lists and had a day of fun.
My best friend Michelle mentioned that she and her sister were going to the Shedd Aquarium in downtown Chicago so I invited myself along. The boys and I caught the 9:30 train from Naperville, which in and of itself is great fun for the boys. We then took a trolley the Aquarium. Also great fun. The aquarium is always nice, but that wasn't necessarily the highlight of the day--though seeing Michelle 9 months pregnant is! She's so cute!.
We had another gorgeous day today. I never was hot nor cold, just always perfect with the warm sun shining down on me and the cool breeze blowing from lake Michigan. We walked past a boat tour and I said, "why not?" I certainly didn't want to rush home to clean my house.
The best part for the boys, though, was the PlayPump. We stayed there for over an hour, probably two, longer than any other children that came and went. It was great to see the boys having so much fun, and I loved watching other kids as they took some delightful spins on the merry go round. Parents would snap photos; all had a good time. I read the plaque on the PlayPump and I was so inspired by it. This one was just a merry-go-round, but the PlayPumps are being used in sub saharan Africa to create clean water for communities. Kids come and play on often the only piece of play equipment around, and at the same time pump clean drinking water that the community can used. Their goal is to have 4000 of them by 2010.
Please take a minute to watch this video.
Please take a minute to watch this video.
It's so inspiring. What an awesome idea. I hope to be a force for good in the world too. For now I don't have any grand ideas, but I feel that just bringing my kids out on a beautiful day like this and learning about people's great ideas is a start. I did make a $6 donation on the website, which says it will give a child clean water for up to ten years. Considering the boat ride cost $14 for a half hour of enjoyment, I'm getting a bargain of $6 for the nearly two hours of entertainment I had. I should do more, but small steps is better than nothing.
Check out the website too:
www.playpumps.org
www.playpumps.org

2 comments:
What a fun day, Sar. I wish we lived closer so we could have these fun days together. Miss you.
That looks so fun for them! I will definitely take my neices and nephews...I wish there was a bigger play pump for adults ha ha, Karen
Post a Comment