I have to share a few more stories of my boys while I'm remembering them. Actually, they are all about Nathan tonight. He's been on my mind.
The other week we were realizing the boys couldn't make the "SM" sound, as in small. They say it , "fall". Jason and I were practicing/teasing them one night when we realized how they said it. "Say small", I said, emphasizing the sm. Nathan, realizing what was going to happen, replied with "No, I'll just say little".
This morning at church Nathan was cuddling in my lap, as he usually does. I can't help but pick at him when he's that close to me. Every time I look in his ear I just want to swab it with my finger and get some wax out. It's sort of an obsession I have. He can't stand it when I do it and always jerks away (can I blame him?). Finally, I got a pinkie in and got a speck of dirt out and some wax. Triumph! But he started crying, saying "I want my ear wax back" (Fortunately it wasn't said too loudly). I pretended to put it back in and he was perfectly happy after that.
Two nights ago the boys were up in their bedroom chattering away well into the nine o'clock hour, nearing ten. We were wondering what they could be talking about for so long. I finally went up their to tell them to be quiet and go to sleep. Immediately on walking in they jumped in their beds. Then Nathan said "I want to give you a tight hug Mom." He came to give me the hug, then stroked my face. "You're so beautiful mom" he said affectionately. Now how's that for sucking up! It did melt my heart though. Nathan also will tell Jason "you're so strong daddy" when he wants to be picked up. He's a clever one.
It finally happened the other week, that dreaded comment your child makes to a stranger. We were in the chiropractor office and this very nice man was talking to the boys when Nathan told him "You have a fat tummy". I was mortified. I tried to stifle it before he got it out, but Nathan repeated it just to make sure the man heard. He said it with a soft voice, almost under his breath, but it was definitely clear and audible. I had no idea what to do. I couldn't look him in the eye after that, but I think I did mutter an apology. The man said, "It's okay, he's cool", but I still felt terrible. When we got to the car I gave Nathan a lecture that we don't tell people they are fat, even if it's true. It can hurt people's feelings and it's not kind. He was quiet for a little while and we moved on to chattering about other things. Then a few minutes later he said "I won't say that again mom". I was proud because I do believe he was learning about what is appropriate and what is not, and hopefully developing some empathy.
Anyway, there are a hundred little (or small) things the boys do every week that give me a smile or outright crack me up. That's one of the best parts of being there mom.

1 comment:
Love the stories! James is a pretty good photographer!
Post a Comment