Monday, January 26, 2009

A picture and a story


Leon has a trait that some cats have, which is to plop down right in front of or on top of whatever you are doing to get some attention. He'll often sit on the keyboard when I'm trying to type, on a book when I'm trying to read, or in this case, on top of Audrey while I'm nursing her.
This first time he sat on us while I was feeding Adurey was while we were in the PetSmart thinking about adopting him. Our whole family was in this tiny room with two of the volunteers, a mother and a daughter. It was really cramped, and hot. Audrey was getting ready to eat so I had the dilemma of whether to nurse her at that moment and if so, where. I feel very comfortable feeding Audrey whenever and wherever she needs it, but I hesitated in such close corridors with other people. But Audrey always wins, and I discreetly started nursing her. Leon jumped on us and I was feeling a little uncomfortable, especially not knowing if the teenage daughter would be like "Eww, she's breastfeeding". We shooed him off and the volunteer (the mom) said "Oh, my cats used to do that to me when I was nursing! I have tons of pictures with the cats sitting on me while I nurse".

That comment immediately made me feel more comfortable. I love it when someone make a comment like that to let me know that they were a breastfeeding mama too and they are totally fine with my nursing. I also love seeing other moms breastfeeding their children. One time we were at the Arboretum eating lunch and I counted 5 moms (myself included) nursing. We were all discreet but I can still spot 'em.
I usually use a blanket but even if I don't have one I can still be discreet. Everyone has their own comfort levels on how they want to feed their baby in public, and I think the mom should do whatever she is comfortable with, whether that is only nursing in complete privacy or nursing anywhere when the baby needs it. The problem is there isn't always a privite spot for women, besides a public bathroom, and I have vowed never to nurse my baby on the toilet.
Whenever I am hesitating if I should nurse Audrey or not I always think, "A screaming baby is much more noticeable than a quietly nursing baby." I read a quote once that made me chuckle: "Don't like my breastfeeding? Put a blanket over your head!" I don't purposely try to make people uncomfortable, but my baby takes priority.
Thoughts, anyone?
Fortunately Leon isn't on top of us all the time when we are nursing, but I just had to get a picture of it one time.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a cute picture. Audrey seems to enjoy having Leon there, too. I probably offended a few people with my breast feeding, but no one ever said anything to me. I tried to be discreet. I think I shocked Grandpa Brown one day when I started nursing at the dinner table. I figure I was a nursing mother for about nine years of my life. You're catching up with me! (And you're so good at it.)

marie said...

no flashing allowed. no sufficating cats allowed. no backseat mothering allowed ;0

Liz Johnson said...

I'm with you... I love seeing other mothers nursing in public. We always exchange smiles and silent support of one another. It's like this underground sisterhood of people who nurse in the Costco food court (ha).

Lesley said...

First of all, I want a cat just like Leon. He has the perfect cat personality!

Second, I think nursing in public rocks. Until recently, I only admired public-nursers and felt too uncoordinated to do it myself. But in the last month I have nursed twice in busy restaurants! I feel so proud of myself. :) I agree with your philosophy completely! However, I really didn't get the necessity of it til I had my own infant. I am sure most public-nursing-haters a) haven't ever successfully nursed a baby or b) never left the house with a nursing baby.

I should also tell you that during my first few weeks of nursing my firstborn, I remembered what you said about your first few weeks nursing twins, and decided that I could probably handle what I had to deal with!

Abbie said...

That picture is hilarious. What a great cat.

AMEN! I love nursing in public. And I also vowed never to nurse on the toilet. That's just weird and gross. I also wish I could nurse in the chapel during sacrament meeting. We can nurse in R.S. Why not let mommies stay for talks if their babies are being quiet? Hmm...

Liz Smith said...

i totally dont mind moms nursing in public, but i definitely appreciate the discreet nursing. one time i went into a bathroom at BYU and a mom was pumping both of her breasts and she was not covered at all, just sitting there totally exposed. i think that definitely scarred me for life. so my thoughts, discreet equals totally fine...exposed free for all equals extremely awkward. :)

you gotta love cats plopping down everywhere. ours does that too. hilarious!

The Horton Family said...

What a fun picture. I totally love it when babies get to the size Audry is at - when nursing becomes much easier and casual. A cooperative baby who knows how to get the job done makes things SO much easier! :)

Lisa said...

Well, having been a nursing mom for a while myself I definitely don't mind moms nursing in public, although it does bug me if they don't cover up. I'm just kinda prude that way and I think that you can take care of your baby while still being considerate of others.

In conclusion, you rock. And that picture is cute :)

Michelle said...

I had to NIP a lot when Ethan was 6weeks old and we took a road trip to South Dakota. I was not very good at it so I used my Hooter Hider, which worked great. Just last week, we were in WI and I said to Will, "I'm pretty sure I nursed Ethan outside at that rest area." Oh, memories!

And I admit I got a strange thrill thinking that someone might say something negative, giving me a reason to tell them off. Of course, had that actually happened, I would have gotten flustered and sounded like an idiot, but the speech in my fantasy is great.