Wednesday, January 28, 2009

GRRRR

I need to vent here for a minute, as well as raise awareness about another ridiculous issue in childbirth.

I've been meaning to get a copy of my C-section report from Audrey's birth because it will determine my chances of having a VBA2C. If the doctor used a single layer suture to close the uterus instead of a double layer suture I may not be able to have one, so I need to get the report to find out and then prove it to my next care provider. Also, I'm curious if they mentioned anything about my scaring or how my uterus looked. According to my midwife who was with me for the surgery I had "hardly any scaring" and it "looked really good". I remember thinking to myself when she said that,"Then why am I laying on this table getting my baby sliced out of me?"

So I finally called to request a copy of my records. I knew there would be a fee because once it became a legal right to get a personal copy of one's records, doctors had to think of a way to try to prevent it from happening and to make money at the same time. At the pediatrician's office I worked at we charged a $25 flat fee for a copy of the records. After all, a lot of "work" went into it: the secretary had to copy the records, and as the nurse I took five minutes to look over them to make sure all the pages were there. Yeah, how come neither of us that actually did the work saw a cent of the $25 bucks?

My surgery report is apparently seven pages. I wonder what they had to say for seven pages. Did they detail how Audrey nearly died because I had a totally unnecessary c-section? I doubt it because they never admitted to me that her respiratory distress and persistent pulmonary hypertension were results of the c-section, even though those are side effects of a c-section. I read after Audrey's birth that the risk of pulmonary hypertension is 4 times greater in a baby that was born by elective c-section (one with no labor).

But I'm digressing. The point of my story is that my 7 page surgery report costs me $30. My entire records were $38, so I just swallowed it and decided to get it all. It's just really annoying.
I understand a $5, even a $10 fee if the record is long, because paper, copying, and mailing does cost money. But, like I said, it's just another way to make it difficult to get a copy of your records when they charge a large fee.

I think everyone should have unlimited access to their own records, with a reasonable copying fee. Have you noticed how the doctor tends to look at the records as theirs? When Audrey was in the NICU I was looking at her chart that was by her plastic bassinet and the nurse told me I couldn't look at it. She said if I wanted a copy I could call the hospital afterwords and request a copy. I really do want to read what was documented about her condition but I'm sure it will cost another thirty or fourty bucks. For now it was a big step just to get a copy of my records.

16 comments:

Wendi said...

It is weird how doctors look at your records as theirs. My OB gives her patients a copy of their charts to keep with them the last month and a half of their pregnancy so they can take them to the hospital when they go into labor and so the delivering doctor can have the most recent info.

I had to see a regular doctor about some vertigo problems I was having and he was asking some questions about my pregnancy. I pulled out my chart to reference it, and he asked in a really accusing tone, "How did you get that?" It bugs me even more now after learning that he misdiagnosed the cause of my vertigo. ;)

marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marie said...

charting-bleaaahhhrrrggrrr
the question is did the records indicate what the doctor wanted to see in procedure, results, and patient or where they straight and accurate. doctors cover themselves and aim to look heroic.

Abbie said...

ARGH! That is so frustrating. It seems that there really isn't a policy that applies to all doctors, because I've had doctors (actually a midwife, but the drs she worked with did the same thing) that would let me look at them every visit if I wanted to. And then we've had a pediatrician be psycho about it. Both in the same state. So aggravating!

Good luck.

Maybe we'll have some insight for you in four years. Because right now I don't understand why they do it.

chicagosapps said...

In Oregon, I had a pretty good ob/gyn. He wasn't the greatest doctor, but he had his own practice (no other drs), and his wife was his nurse and I really liked them. Anyway, we were about to move out of state when Hannah was 2 weeks old, and I had a question about something and I called him. While I was talking to him on the phone, he said "Since you're moving away so soon after birthing, I would like to give you the medical report from Hannah's birth so you can give it to your future doctor." And he sent it to me at my new address. Free. And I didn't even ask him for it.

Now I see how rare he is, I wish I could find someone like him here.

chicagosapps said...

Oh, and I'd like to hearwhat you think of the report. It better be spectacular for $38.

Liz Johnson said...

No kidding. Are your medical records edible or otherwise worth $38?? Did they write them in iambic pentameter? Is there a copyright pending?? Because otherwise, THAT IS COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS.

Medical records should be digital and viewable by both physician and patient. Why isn't the medical world transparent?! Why is information so protected?? What do you have to hide, doc??

RebekahsMommy said...

Hello,

I know you don't know me, but I found your blog off of my Cousin Molly Miller's blog. I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I am almost 3 months pregnant with my 2nd child. My 1st child was born by C-Section becasue she was breech. My water broke at 8:30, I was in the OR by 10 and she was hear by 10:30....no labor at all. I didn't even feel a contration. For this baby I deaprately want to do a VBAC and was wondering if you could help me find information. You seem very knowledgeable in the subject area. I haven't had my 1st appointment yet (waiting on insurance cards to come) but I want to find a doctor who will attempt one. If you could lead me to any info or give me any info, please let me know. I want to be armed and ready when i talk to the doctor.

And 38 dollars is REDICULOUS for medical records!

RebekahsMommy said...

oops, sorry.... My name is Andrea btw

Liz Smith said...

ugh, that is so ridiculous and lame!!! i'd be super annoyed too. hopefully you're able to get everything straightened out now that you have your records.

Weston and William's Blog said...

Sarah, let me know if you need Andrea's contact info. Haha, it totally threw me off when I was reading the comments and there was my name ;)

Lesley said...

I am annoyed that the NICU nurse wouldn't even let you look at the records when they were there in front of you! It makes me wonder if there are ever notes in there that they won't ever disclose to you, even when you arrange to receive copies of the records.

I love that you blog about patient rights!

Karen said...

I thought with the new HIPA (well I guess not BRAND new, but New enough), that you were allowed your records? I guess not apparently without some lame fee. I don't ever want a c section again!

Sarah H said...

Yes you are allowed your records, but the Illinois lesgislature (and elsewhere too probably) allows for doctors to charge a fee for them.

Nursemom said...

I'd just like to comment on the whole getting your records thing. I do think it's a little ridiculous you have to pay so much for them but this is why you have to request them. There are too many cases where people have gotten a hold of records that are not theirs and they have used them as a way to steal someone's identity. It's a way to protect you, not to make things difficult for you. That's why those HIPPA laws were put into place. Yes they are annoying, they are annoying for those of us in the medical field as well, but that is the result of would be hackers, not the hospital system.

As a NICU nurse I can say the reason we don't like patients reading the chart at the bedside is because it can be misinterpreted. We once had a patient who read that her child was SOB. She got really mad that we called her child a bad name. In nurse speak, SOB is shortness of breath. WE need to be able to write what we observe so the child can get the best care possible and not be worried what the parent is going to say about it.

I just wanted to clear some things up.

Lani said...

Sarah,
I just re-discovered your blog. I knew I'd been here before! I'm interested to know more details about what led up to your c-sec. How scary, sad, and horrible that your baby suffered because of it.

Now I'm going to go read some more of your posts!