Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Let's talk about the weather (not too much else to talk about)

The weather is crazy here! As I've mentioned several times lately, January is a very dreary month here. It seems it's either bitter cold, but sunny, or cloudy, dreary, and slightly warmer. I don't like the frigid air (who does?) but I do love to be indoors when the sun is shining on those cold days. I sit by the windows and soak up the sun. The house gets warmer from the sun shining through and I love to feel cozy.
Today was the opposite. It was incredibly grey and gloomy, but the temperature was up to 50 degrees! I knew we were getting a big cold front (here now tonight) so I took advantage of the small window of non-bitter temperatures and took the boys to the Arboretum. We played outside for 2 hours at their children's garden, with it nearly to ourselves. I enjoyed the fresh, earthy smell of pines, wet dirt, and puddles on the cement from the melted snow. It's a toss up for me whether I like frigid, but beautiful days, or milder, but dreary days. I think if it's over 50 I prefer the cloudy, warm days. Anywho, this is getting boring, all this talk about weather. Basically I was glad we got out when we did, because now it is 10 degrees, 40 degrees colder than it was 6 hours ago! And it's supposed to get colder, with windchills well below zero.
I am thankful I have a warm home where I can take a hot bath and then get in my warm bed.
How do you deal with winter? Or are you lucky enough to live somewhere where it's not too bad?
PS Thanks for all the well wishes for my baby girl. It's great to have friends near and far to be in touch with! I know so many amazing people! I love reading everyone's blogs.

5 comments:

Bart said...

Hi Guys-
Just so you know ... it was 70 degrees and sunny here in Tampa today!

Lesley said...

Thank goodness for a few rare days like that during a long winter! And what a nice outing to take advantage of it.

A warm bath sounds SO nice!

Lisa said...

Isn't it amazing how you get the warm before the storm? It's always a little eerie when it gets warm here, because we know something big is coming!

But, it is things like this that make me really REALLY want to live in the desert. Ahh....

Debbie said...

Tell me about it!!! I hate this COLD weather. I'm an Arizona desert girl through and through.

Karen said...

Dito. I hated the weather today...Can't wait for Spring. Thanks so much for bringing me dinner tonight...that was the best lasagna I've ever had! Can I get your recipe?? Brian will be home soon, can't wait to feed it to him although he might not think I'm a good cook anymore :) Your awesome thanks for all your help and thoughtfulness...I will return the favor when you have your little girl! Karen