Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Pictures of arboretum, Nathan's creations.

Sorry I've been such a lame (absent) blogger! I thought I could at least post some pictures! The Arboretum, my favorite place around here, is at another peak week in the maple forests. We took a hike this weekend with the boys and it was almost magical, being surrounded by a sea of yellow. And I was proud of the boys for hiking about a mile and a half.





This last picture if of one of Nathan's contraptions. He's always been a hoarder of toys, and lately he's enjoyed tying them all up together. This was something he made the other day:

His main work is his "Mr. Incredible Ski lift" which he has been working on for weeks. I need to get a picture of it still. Here's a comment I made on my best friend Michelle's blog, then I thought, heck, I need to post something on my blog! So, quoting myself:
"It is always difficult to be in public with a screaming child.
I couldn't really tell if you were annoyed by the old grandmotherly lady giving advice, but I for one have decided I don't like strangers giving me advice. For instance, yesterday Nathan left his toy at the Arboretum. Not just any toy, but his "Mr incredible ski lift" as he calls it, which is a bath tub fishing pole that has about 10 random objects tied into it, such as: Mr Incredible, two necklaces of mine, an airplane, a car, and '03 graduation tassel, and probably some dental floss too since he likes that. Anyway, he's been working on it for about two weeks and it is his pride and joy. So when I went to get it at the lost and found desk, I didn't welcome the advice coming from the worker: "Be careful with the string, he could choke himself on it". They should be praising me for my child's creativity in creating such a contraption, not lecturing me! (Okay, I didn't really expect that, but parents have a right to think their child is creative when in fact they are probably just weird).
My child is almost four, and even though I am young mom so people think they can give me advice (I can't picture them telling that to an older mom), I am a paranoid mom and I read every bit of safety advice and take it seriously. In fact, just this Sunday in church someone shared a story of how they were about to get in the shower but had a prompting from the Holy Ghost to check on their child. At first she ignored it, but then it came again very powerfully and when she checked on her child he was tangled up in the cord of the blinds and would have died had she taken her shower. Cords are scary! Now I have something else to be paranoid about (though I did always know cords were a danger). However, I am not worried about this toy and I didn't want some lady butting in."

Anyway, that is random but I thought I'd post something at least!!
What experiences have you had with strangers giving you advice? Do you welcome it (you're probably more humble than me) or does it annoy you? (as it sometimes is annoying).

11 comments:

Sabrina said...

I honestly don't recall getting any advice from strangers. They must not say anything worth remembering. However, I will praise your child's creativity. I think it's so great that Nathan came up with that on his own, not even yet 4 years old. It appears he may have some engineering in his genes. Shocker! There's none of that in your family ;)

Ashli Miller said...

Advice from strangers: well more yelling at me than actual advice. I was carrying both my twins (I'm sure you know the feeling) so that we could hurry from the car to the grocery store in the rain. It's easier to carry both of them than try to drag them by the hands when I'm in a hurry. Anyway, i wasn't running, but walking quickly, and some guy yelled at me, "STOP!!! Do NOT run with two kids in your arms!!" Okay, it could have been a problem if I fell, but I have carried both my boys at the same time a billion times, so I know what I am capable of. And walking quickly through the rain is no big deal.

Karen said...

I haven't yet, obviously, but Ive heard horror stories, and its really non of their business, unless your like beating your kid...my cousin was at a door of another house (not inside) and her kids were in her car in AZ...super hot so the car was running so the AC was on...another woman took the keys out of the car and brought them to the door and yelled at her. Thanks, but I'd rather not have my kids suffocate. Crazy huh?
Yeah, I know I'm up early, pregnancy insomnia :) Have so much fun in Hawaii...Im totally jealous

Michelle said...

Hey bud. Yes, I was annoyed with the library woman. Not terribly, because it could have been worse, but definitely annoyed with the obvious advice. Even more annoying, though, was the "See, he just needed some love" as if I was a horrible mom for having him in a stroller and not in my arms at all times. Your story about the toy is much worse, though, and terribly frustrating, I'm sure. You should have told her you're a pediatric nurse and are fully aware of the dangers of choking. Or...you could have used the toy to choke her for a bit and then say, "Yes, I guess you're right. You can choke on this." Too violent?

Liz said...

Hey Sarah, I think it is so funny what little boys will do. Nathan's Mr Incredible ski lift sounds really interesting.

I find it really annoying when strangers give advice or ask me dumb questions. I know you get this one all the time, but, people are always asking me if Lindsey and Hailey are twins! It drives me crazy sometimes, because they aren't even the same height, and they are 2 1/2 years apart?! Anyway, I know what you mean, old people especially seem to think it is their duty to pour out the unsolicited advice!

I am laughing at Michelle's comment by the way. So funny!!

Clemstock said...

Oh Sarah this post was one of those "man have I been there moments" for me. The last piece of advice I was given was by Lexia's bus driver. He said to me one morning, "It's getting cold, you should really have a warmer coat for her." I just looked at him and smiled because little did he know that I had run frantically back home just minutes before he got there, ransacking the house trying to find a warmer coat.

Clemstock said...

Oh ya, and I love the music you choose. Tom liked one of your songs so much he wanted it on ours. And now, I love your new first song. Guess I am going to have to face the fact that I am a "Sarah song blogger stalker".

Sarah H said...

Hey, thanks for the comments everyone. I'm glad it's not just me that gets annoyed!
GLad you like the songs misti!

Lisa said...

I haven't had the kid advice yet, but am trying to prepare myself for it. But as a pregnant woman I definitely get plenty of advice! And this is different from friendly pregnancy advice, it's "Should you be carrying that?" or "Are you sure you should be flying?" Arg.

Karen said...

Today I thought of you when a lady asked me if I could carry my massage table to her house and give her a massage (Im Pregnant you idiot!) Ha ha, If she wanted one so bad, she could have come to my house...this is after I squeezed her in at work, which practically doubled my workload...so it's not advice, but it goes along with crazy things people say to you

Anonymous said...

Advice from strangers is always annoying to me. Landan is always a little loud and hard to control when we are in stores. I have had a lot of people tell me that picking up my child and holding him so that he will stop misbehaving is bad parenting. At least I don't abuse my child. Your boys have always been very creative. Good to hear about your family.

Kevin