Tuesday, March 02, 2010

up and down birthday

I had my 30th birthday yesterday. I wasn't too excited about turning 30. Who wants to leave their twenties behind? The only good thing is now I'll feel a bit more respectable when people tell me I look so young to have three children.

Besides just being a bummer for turning 30, the birthday didn't go as planned. The kids and I were planning to leave for San Diego on Sunday and spend my birthday with my parents and sister in sunny California. We were packed and everything. Unfortunately, I got quite sick over the weekend so I ended up cancelling my trip. That was a downer for me that I'm still not fully over. I miss my parents and my sister!

But, it still was a good birthday because I felt very loved by my family here. Jason took great care of me and the kids this weekend and waited on me hand and foot. I'm almost sad to get better!

I opened some presents Sunday night and had carrot cake cupcakes from Hugo's Frog Bar. Nathan got me this awesome "best friends" necklace:

I have to admit, Jason and I glanced at each other and we had to really stifle back the laughter when I opened my gift--I was just a little surprised. But Nathan picked it out and insisted on it and now I totally love it. He is just the sweetest kid ever. He made me a paper bracelet that said "You are a great mom, to Sarah From Nathan" He also drew me a a big heart that said "I love you Sarah" and "You are a great mom" (He's learned that I love to hear that)
James wrote me a nice card in his very best handwriting that said "Dear mom I hope you have a happy birthday love James". Jason got me a new stereo, a much needed/wanted gift since we were without music for a little while now.

On my actual birthday I woke up in a lot of pain from my headache and sore throat, but I felt a lot better than the weekend. Jason got the kids ready for school in the morning and went into work late, so he wasn't back in time for dinner. The original plan was to celebrate on Saturday with his parents but since I was sick we never had an "official" celebration.

My parents in law called me Monday afternoon and asked me if I wanted to go out. I was planning to take the kids out so I said I'd love to. They took me to Cracker Barrel and we had a lovely time and they spoiled the kids. (In a good way). They also got me a beautiful framed picture of the Arboretum and a herb gardening book.

So all in all even though I'm bummed about being 30 and I'm bummed I'm not with my family in SD and I'm bummed it's grey and gross here I'm sooooo happy and thankful for my little children, my wonderful husband, and my wonderful parents in law I have here. I hope to get out to SD sometime next month.


14 comments:

mamazita said...

Oh, sorry about the whole 30 thing. I think i get it though. I turn 30 this year also, and I am already dreading it.

You had a bummer weekend. Hopefully next month will make up for it.s

Lesley said...

Your kids are adorable. I LOVED Nathan's note, and that necklace... wow. Happy psychedelic birthday, right?

I am so glad you will still get to have a trip to CA!

Liz Johnson said...

AWWWWWWW that necklace is the cutest thing ever. SO adorable. Happy Birthday!!! I'd like to think that the 30's are just immensely underrated... right? I'll find out soon, I guess. :)

Susie O'Rourke said...

I'm sorry your trip didn't work out AND that you were sick around/on your birthday. But, it sounds like you all made the most of it and were able to make some very special 30th birthday memories. I LOVE those two pictures with Nathan!
Happy birthday, Sarah!!
Much love!

KT said...

Happy Birthday Sarah! That stinks you were sick on your birthday. Bummer. But I love the necklace from Nathan. What a sweet gift :)

Sabrina said...

Happy birthday! Sorry it didn't turn out exactly how you'd planned. We were actually hoping you'd make it out because we were in SD and would have stuck around a little longer on Sunday to say hi. Best laid plans, right? I am glad that your family still made it worthwhile though and you are feeling better. I hope you can make it to visit your family soon. I love how close you and Marie are.

Karen said...

Happy Birthday Sarah!!! (I hope you got my email) Don't worry about being 30...its not so bad...we are still way young at heart!! I hope you are still able to get to sunny Cali soon and have fun with your Mom and sister. Luv, Karen

Liz Smith said...

oh, a missed trip to california is definitely something that has to be mourned. that stinks!!!! i hope you get to feeling better soon. i loathe being sick. It looks like you had a fun birthday nonetheless. How cute about your necklace! awww. that's so sweet. hang in there with this weather! you'll be in so. cal soon enough. i'm going in april for my sister's wedding and i CANT WAIT!!!

Lisa said...

I'm sorry your birthday was such a bummer :( How sad to be so sick and have to cancel your trip! But I'm glad that you were well taken care of, and your sons gifts to you were just too cute :)

I'm not too afraid of being 30, but I guess that's because I'm really sick of everyone being surprised at how young I am :/ I guess we'll see when the time comes.

Cheryl Anne said...

I'm glad you're feeling better! Happy belated birthday! I love that last picture, that is just priceless. :)

hilary w said...

What a bummer you had to miss your birthday trip! That is horrible timing. I'm sorry about that! It sounds like your cute family made up for it, though. I love those best friend necklaces. How sweet!

Liz said...

Happy belated Birthday!! I'm so sorry you've been sick and missed your trip to San Diego!! That would be sad even if it weren't a birthday trip!

By the way 30 really isn't that bad! When I turned 30, I just said to myself this is going to be a good birthday and a good year. And it sort of just happened that it was. SO even if you have to be the one that makes it good, do it. It will make you really feel good.

I already told you I thought the necklace from Nathan was such a sweet idea. What a cute kid.

Marie said...

i missed you here in sd sis! i'll just have to come play with you in chicago and celebrate a little later. maybe i can find a best sister necklace ;O

Shannon said...

Happy late birthday! 30 is not so bad. (I'm older than you?!) You have such a sweet family that loves you, how fun that the boys come up with their own things to give you. Hopefully you'll get to see your fam soon - it's hard to be far away from loved ones.