Wednesday, December 02, 2009

When life hands you collapsing cakes.....

.....Make a trifle instead.



This is the picture of the cake I wanted to make:




This is what happened instead:

However, I think it made a lovely and delicious trifle

Boy, this was a disaster! First, my cakes didn't come out of the pans, so I had to make another batch. Next the ganache layer was too hard to spread, so I had to microwave it and it turned to liquid. Then I had great difficulty cutting the cake layers. They were very fragile. I finally had 4 layers of cake with a ganache layer and a white chocolate cream layer between them. I started piling on the fluffy peppermint frosting and the cake started collapsing. It was literally falling off in chunks, then half of it slid onto the counter. This was all happening just as I was about to leave, already late for my event. My friend and my mother in law were there. I was so embarrassed. I had spend all afternoon on this! Luckily, I remembered my trifle bowl and we managed to save it.
I read the reviews and I'm relieved to find several other people had this problem. Several people mentioned serving the cake out of the punch bowl or a big Tupperwear.
It tasted delicious, I guess that's all that matters.

6 comments:

Sabrina said...

Sounds very frustrating, but it does still look wonderful as a trifle and all your thanksgiving food looks so delicious too. You are quite thE CHEF!

Susie O'Rourke said...

You had me at fluffy peppermint frosting... I think the trifle looks delicious and I'm sure everything tasted great since it was made by you!

Weston and William's Blog said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!! It looks soooo yummy!!! And I think it looks BETTER as a trifle!!

Liz Smith said...

that still looks delicious! mmmm. it would have been complete disaster at my house since im pretty sure we dont own a trifle bowl. :)

Liz said...

Wow! It turned out successfully in the end! It sounds really fabulous too!

I just have to say that I am glad I am not the only one that has kitchen disastors such as this!

I just remembered a really cool tip from some baking blog...when making a layer cake, instead of trying to bake two rounds and slice them in half.....Bake 4 thin round layers, and then you should have no trouble layering, since you won't have to slice the cakes. Try it next time and see how it works.

Michelle said...

Remember my post about how much I hate baking? This is why! Tomorrow's Will's birthday, and I invited my family over mostly so I could ask my mom to make his cake. :) His family is coming Saturday, and I'm making a pumpkin trifle instead of cake. And, tomorrow, my cousin is coming over to bake cookies with me so that I don't have to do it by myself. It's a necessary evil but has to be done this time of year. But I'm making homemade meat sauce/meatballs tomorrow to balance things out. That's MY kind of cooking.