Friday, October 05, 2007

Mornings are sometimes like this

Nathan is upstairs crying and has been for the past half hour this morning. He's crying because he wanted to "win" coming down the stairs. No one cares about it except him. James doesn't, I don't. We're happy to let him be first. Like this morning, he wanted to win, so we let him go first, but then he got halfway down and forgot something, so he came back up. James and I saw no need to delay our breakfast any longer, so we continued downstairs. I didn't know this would upset the delicate balance of his mood. Now Nathan has been carrying on this whole time about winning, refusing to come down. He wants James and I to go back upstairs; we'll then replay the walking down the stairs and he will win. I want him to stop crying, but I'm not sure I want to give in to this silly behavior. We've done it too many times before!
It's too bad, because Nathan was so cute when he first woke up. He came in my room and snuggled with me when I was reading. Then he went to look for "Sammy the snake", which, get this, is a piece of used dental floss that he found last night and got attached too. Yes, it's weird. He was pulling it around, saying it's his snake, and we need to be quiet because the snake, Sammy, is shy and scared. We can't find Sammy this morning (must have slithered off) but perhaps I should go get a new piece of dental floss, say it's Sammy, let him win coming down the stairs, and give him breakfast so we can have a peaceful morning and make it to the YMCA in time for my class!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My two cents? Do not give in.

Alicia said...

Sarah,
thanks for your cute story that made me laugh. I love toddlers!

ashley marie said...

haha, that is really funny!! I'm surprised he was crying for so long, I guess I have a lot to look forward to!

Liz said...

Something I've learned after the 3rd kid, is that patience usually wins. Sometimes I can handle waiting for the crying tantrum to end and be done with, and sometimes it is just better to help the little tantrumer feel that they are in control. We've been seeing alot of this with Jared lately. He is in the "I can do it myself" stage, and instantly melts down if he thinks it is being done for him. Most of the time I find it to be ridiculous, just like you do, but for the sake of my sanity and his I try to let him feel like he is in control of things as much as possible. It is definitely frustrating and annoying sometimes.

I hope the rest of the day went better for you. :)

Lesley said...

That is such a funny story. Dental floss huh? Christmas is going to be easy this year. :)