Thursday, October 18, 2007

Kindness

Well, I haven't been blogging much this week, either reading or writing, because we haven't been feeling too well. Nathan started Saturday with a cough. He's been getting into bed with me a lot in the middle of the night (which I hate but am usually too tired to move him) and one night he was so hot. I took his temp and it was over 103. However, being a nurse at a pediatrician's office I know not to freak out. We have so many parents who panic at the first temperature and want to be seen immediately. I just gave him some Ibuprofen and he was okay. He said he ear hurt the next day so I took him in to the office and he got some antibiotics.

I thought James was going to escape this round of illness but last night he woke up with a croupy cough and that raspy, gasping breath. Croup is so scary the first time your kids get it, but I've learned to manage it since my kids haven gotten it once or twice every winter. The 2 best thing to do are: 1) make a steam room in the shower and let them breathe in the moist air, and 2)bring them out into the cool night air. That works the best.

Anyway, I worked ALL day today, from 8:30 in the morning to 7 at night. I feel so bad leaving my boys when they are sick. I just want to be home caring for them and mothering them. Another little sign it's time to quit.

I got home and poor James had the chills. He was saying he was cold, which I couldn't believe since it's quite warm today, but there he was, shivering with blue tinted lips and hands and feet. Then about an hour later the fever came out--also above 103. I went for the Ibuprofen but it was out. Here it was 9 pm, no husband around, and I have to drag two kids to Walgreen's to get medicine. And then at the store I had to spend 10 minutes finding and then choosing what I wanted to get. I chose one bottle of Motrin and one of Tylenol.

When I went up to pay I realized I had forgotten my wallet at home! Ahhh! That hasn't happened to me for a long time. I said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I have to run home really quick and get my wallet". I was rushing out the door when the lady behind me said "I'll pay for it!" I was of course like "No, no it's okay, I live close, it's fine, I'll be right back". She was insisting, and I said, "If it were like a dollar it'd be okay but this is 11 dollars, I'll just go get my wallet" but she said "No, no, I've been there, I know what it's like." I was still hesitant and she said "Our paths will cross again". I decided to relent and let her pay. She just added it on to her bill and I carried it away in my purse.

I was truly so grateful not to have to go back and forth again. But also, I know that when you sometimes get this desire to do something nice for someone and they don't let you, it's almost a let down. So I humbled myself and let her do this nice thing for me because I could tell she really wanted to. I was blushing and embarrassed, but at the same time so touched and grateful. I gave her a spontaneous hug and the checker guy asked "do you know each other?"

No, I didn't know her. I can't really even remember her face, though I hope I recognized it if I see her again. She was just a kind stranger, who saw a struggling young mom of two and decided to help. I will surely be thanking God in my prayers tonight that there are people like that. It's almost like a cheesy country song...

Has anything like this happened to you, on either end?

8 comments:

Liz said...

Sarah, that story made me cry! That was so incredibly nice of that woman to do that for you!

I've been in line at a store before when someone has offered someone some extra cash to cover their bill (usually a little old lady who you could tell really needed it). It is so good to know that there are people out there who do nice things like this.

I was at Costco the other day, and I didn't have very much stuff, but this grandma behind me with her crying little grandson, had just one thing. I said you can go ahead of me. But she wouldn't. I felt kind of bad that she wouldn't but also thought, well whatever, if you don't want to that's fine.

I am sure someday down the road you will have an opportunity to help someone else just like this woman did for you!

Michelle said...

Bud, I'm bawling here! It's so wonderful when someone does something so kind without wanting anything in return. What a beautiful woman.

It sort of reminds me of the time I gave my students an assignment to call me but on accident I gave them the number of an old lady instead of my school voicemail. The woman was so kind and ended up thanking me because she got to talk to all these young kids who accidentally called her - some very late at night! She was just lonely and loved talking to my kids. And my students, some of whom are a bit scary, were very kind to her, too, which made me so happy! Not really the same kind of thing but related to kindness, right?

Lesley said...

What a cool story. I am so glad to hear that you let her pay for it. I bet she is still all glowy about it.

And what a cool story about the students calling the old woman. It just seems to me like one of those "coincidences" that answered the prayers or thoughts of a lonely woman. Cool.

Debbie said...

That is a great story! thanks for sharing.

emily said...

thank you so much for sharing! i love to hear stories about 'angels among us' - like in the Alabama song. i am crying too!
i wish i had a good story to share!

Susie O'Rourke said...

I'm so glad I decided to check out your blog tonight! That story is just wonderful.
One act of kindness I like to do is pay for the person behind me when going through a toll booth. Most of the time it has been for someone that I know who is following me, but I have done it for random people. Unfortunately, I-Pass has ruined this for me... Now Kevin and I have have switched to paying for parking and things like that.
If you ever need help in a situation like that again, Kevin and I are a phone call and a short 10 minutes away! CALL.

Meghan said...

What a kind and thoughtful woman! Good for you for accepting the help and allowing her to serve. :)

Ashli Miller said...

I love hearing stories like that. It reminds me to look for others around me who need something from me.